Wednesday, March 25, 2009

Ear Update

It has occurred to me that I haven't posted an update since Carter's ear-nose-throat (ENT) appointment last Friday. We spent the weekend at the lake with the Dillard family, so I haven't had a chance to load new pictures yet.

We were at the ENT office for about an hour. Jack was pleased to see an aquarium in the waiting room (he thinks pediatric doctors should have aquariums). The ENT reviewed Carter's ear history, then tested his hearing and ear drum vibration. We confirmed that the ears still are infected (following this last round of antibiotics), and the ear drums have little to no vibration (the right side had some slight movement, but not the left side)--indicating fluid behind the drum, which is the culprit of these infections. As he explained, the antibiotics will (usually, but not in our case) clear up the infection but they don't get rid of the fluid. So the next time there is a bit of congestion or other contaminant, another infection flares up. So far, his hearing hasn't really been impacted (he missed some of the audible prompts, but he was tired).

Based on the whole of his case, the doctor recommended tubes. He offered for us to think about our decision and get back to them, but there was no need. Jack and I knew it was coming and had discussed the idea in advance. We are going through with the tubes. I have some hesitation about doing it when he's so little. It's not the procedure that concerns me, so much as the anesthesia. I hate the idea of him being put under. But, the doctors do this all the time, even on babies his age. And I don't want to risk him having more pain from infection, possible trouble hearing us during this period of language learning, and possible balance issues because of the fluid--during a time when he's learning to walk. So sometime in the next week, the office will call us to schedule his surgery.

No comments: